- Presenting a new way of enjoying cars, Toyota to unveil GR HV Sports concept
- Toyota Tj Cruiser – Birth of a new van and fusion genre
- Crown Concept vehicle to be showcased at Tokyo Motor Show
- 3rd generation of Toyota Century luxury limousine to make its debut
The Toyota GR HV Sports concept car will make its worldwide premiere at the 45th Tokyo Motor Show 2017*, taking place from October 25 to November 5 at Tokyo Big Sight.
The GR HV Sports concept represents a new way to enjoy cars by integrating the thrill of a sports car with the environmental friendliness of an eco-car.
- The design takes cues from Totora Gazoo Racing’s TS050 Hybrid racing car that competes in the World Endurance Championship (WEC).
- Features a targa top that was also used for Toyota’s legendary convertible sports cars, the Toyota Sports 800 (a.k.a. Yotahachi) and the Supra.
- Powered by THS-R (Toyota Hybrid System-Racing) technology refined by the TS050 Hybrid.
The GR HV Sports concept features LED headlights, aluminium wheels, and a rear diffuser similar to the TS050 Hybrid. The design evokes Toyota’s bond with motor sports. The matte black body colour expresses power and a purposeful stance.
A selection switch to choose the automatic gear position is located in the centre cluster to achieve a racing car-like ambience. The push button ignition switch is located on the shift knob.
Enjoyment of Control
The performance of the THS-R offers genuine sports car thrills, while drivers will experience a sense of freedom thanks to the targa top.
Switching to manual mode is possible with the single press of a button, and six-speed manual-style driving with H-pattern shifting can be enjoyed (the car is an automatic).
The hybrid battery is mounted near the centre of vehicle, contributing to improved performance as a sports car.
A gallery of high-resolution GR HV Sports concept pictures can be viewed here.
|GR HV Sports concept||4,395||1805||1,280||Front engine, rear-wheel-drive||2|
Toyota to Premiere Tj Cruiser at Tokyo Motor Show 2017
The birth of a new van and SUV fusion genre aimed at drivers with active lifestyles
Toyota intends to showcase its new crossover genre concept vehicle, the Tj Cruiser, for the first time at the 45th Tokyo Motor Show 2017* to be held at Tokyo Big Sight from October 25 to November 5. The Tj Cruiser represents the harmonious balance between the roominess of a cargo van and the powerful design of an SUV.
The Tj Cruiser is designed for drivers with lifestyles where work and play dovetail seamlessly. The “T” in Tj Cruiser stands for “Toolbox” in reference to how the car can be used like a toolbox, while the “j” stands for “joy” in reference to the joy of visiting various places by car. The name “Cruiser,” which is traditionally used for Toyota’s SUV line-up, is assigned to the Tj Cruiser to express the power of the vehicle.
Inside, the passenger seat can be reclined completely flat, and not only can the Tj Cruiser easily hold outdoor equipment, it can also store large items such as three-metre long surfboards and bikes.
The square-shaped cabin, similar to that of a van, exudes high utility. Meanwhile, the sturdy suspension realised by large SUV-sized tyres (225/50/R20) is fused with a bold front. The Tj Cruiser symbolises a new genre incorporating the strengths of a van with those of an SUV. The bonnet, roof, and bumpers use materials (with special coating) that resist scratches and dirt, even when objects accidentally come into contact with them.
The front and rear passenger seats can be reclined completely flat for storing long items up to three metre in length, such as surfboards. The backs of the seats and deck boards include numerous tie-down points to enable easy anchoring of items from small packages to longer objects. Moreover, the large opening of the back door makes for easy loading and unloading of large items such as bikes.
The seat cushion on the passenger seat directly behind the driver can be flipped up towards the front to create dedicated space for storing groceries or shopping items. The large openings of the sliding doors enable loading and unloading of large items from the sides and easy entry and exit for family members, as well.
- Use of the next-generation TNGA platform expected.
- The unit to run on a 2.0-litre class engine + hybrid system.
- Front-wheel-drive, four-wheel-drive system to be used.
A gallery of high-resolution Tj Cruiser concept pictures can be viewed here.
Toyota to Showcase Crown Concept at Tokyo Motor Show 2017
Toyota is scheduled to showcase the Crown Concept vehicle at the 45th Tokyo Motor Show 2017, taking place from October 25th to November 5th, at Tokyo Big Sight. The theme of this year’s show is “Beyond the Motor.”
The Crown Concept is a concept vehicle developed in pursuit of driving performance and connected technology. It features the blend of the Crown tradition with its birth in 1955 and the innovation to be expected in the Crown in a next generation mobility society.
The features of the Crown Concept are as follows:
- Innovative driving performance as part of Toyota’s pursuit of “Fun to Drive”
To offer customers the enjoyment of driving cars while pursuing a future mobility society, Toyota has re-designed cars from scratch, including building the new Crown Concept on a platform based on Toyota New Global Architecture (TNGA), and has conducted testing in Nürburgring, Germany. In addition to responsive handling performance, driving stability is realised whether driving at low- or high-speeds and whether on smooth or rough surfaces.
- Pursuit of innovative evolution in order to fully realise connected technology as a service
Responding to an IoT (Internet of Things) society with complete implementation of Data Communication Modules (DCM), Toyota hopes to provide new value to customers by utilising big data that is acquired from DCMs installed in Toyota vehicles. The DCM will come standard in the commercial model of the Crown Concept.
- From “safety realised by one car” to “safety realised by the whole city”
Toyota’s advanced technologies not only include automatic braking, but also ITS Connect, a connected technology service that keeps society safe as a whole through the sharing of information on things like traffic signals and other vehicles. Toyota has contributed to the early development of connected technology by participating in public and private demonstration experiments.
- Enhancement of your driving lifestyle with big data
By utilising the mobility service platform, Toyota aims to contribute to solving societal problems, for example, by reducing traffic jams in cities through the utilization of data on traffic congestion. Additionally, Toyota aims to diagnose vehicles remotely using vehicle data collected from DCMs to predict potential vehicular issues and the necessity for vehicular maintenance. Call centres provide quick and appropriate support and provide customers a sense of safety and security.
Toyota aims to offer a car that can continue to excite drivers, well into ownership, and believes that the remote technology unique to this connected car, as well as the utilization of a new mobility service, can provide an exciting evolution to the driving lifestyles of its customers. The commercial model of the Crown Concept is scheduled to be released around the summer of 2018.
Toyota to Debut Next-generation Century at Tokyo Motor Show 2017
Toyota is scheduled to showcase the new Century (to be released in Japan in the middle of 2018) at the 45th Tokyo Motor Show 2017, taking place from October 25 through November 5 at Tokyo Big Sight. The theme of this year’s show is “Beyond the Motor.”
The new third generation Century carries on the tradition of master craftsmanship and high-quality monozukuri (all-encompassing manufacturing) while realising high-demand environmental performance and a design layout that pursues passenger comfort. The interior and exterior design injects new charm into the Century in line with its heritage. Moreover, the new Century features advanced equipment and comfort amenities only suitable for a luxury limousine.
Specifically, the Century is now powered by a 5.0-litre V8 hybrid system for outstanding fuel efficiency. In addition, the wheelbase has lengthened, the height difference between the scuff plate and floor has decreased, and the height of the door opening has increased, all of which are refinements improving the rear seat riding experience.
The intricately glamorous and chic exterior is highlighted by traditional Japanese design elements used throughout the car including the grille and black trim on the rear combination lights. The interior features a raised ceiling design (an architectural ceiling design with additional height in the centre area) and exclusive fabric while the adjustable rear seats (with massage function), are upgraded with a power leg rest for first-class comfort and a sophisticated riding experience.
- Increase in vehicle length, wheelbase, and tread exudes a roomy and dignified style.
- Ample comfort is provided to rear seat passengers through the increased space created by the expanded wheelbase. Additionally, the rear seat riding experience has been improved through the decreased height difference between the scuff plate and the floor and the increased height of the door opening.
- The heritage of the Century can be seen at first glance from the front of the vehicle where the grille, lamps, and other elements blend seamlessly together creating a simple and modern aesthetic.
The grille has a dual structure with a crown pattern applied behind the vertical grid and clearance lamps.
- The combination of three projector headlamps and LED Array AHS (Adaptive High Bean System) produce a clear and distinctive appearance.
- While maintaining elegance in a horizontal foundational posture, the underbody, which dips slightly rearward, combined with the ascending rear cabin, secures the rear seat space and creates a supple movement when viewed from the side.
By straightening the slope of the C pillar, the design focus of the cabin shifts to the rear, heightening the importance of the rear in appearance.
- A refined sense of unity is evoked through the blackening of the trim of the rear combination lamps.
Glamour is evoked from the three-dimensional lens of the rear combination lamps that emit a light of harmony.
- A raised ceiling and the application of a traditional pattern befitting a vehicle of the highest class.
In the rear seat area, heather-patterned upholstery is applied from the backs of the front seats to the door panel trim, emphasizing horizontal space. The seat upholstery is made of high-quality materials, including 100% wool that is extremely flexible and soft. Models with leather interiors offer high-end, soft-textured upholstery.
Similar to the rear seat area, the front seats have horizontal heather-patterned upholstery that emphasizes space. The black heather-patterned decoration in the centre of the instrument panel expresses a noble and sophisticated interior.
- The step-less, adjustable power leg rest and adjustable rear seats (with a massage function) ensure a comfortable ride.
- A multi-operational LCD panel located in the central armrest enables passenger control of all seats, air conditioning, and audio controls.
- Equipped with furnishings that can be used for business or pleasure such as a writing table, reading light, rear seat entertainment system with a large-sized display, and a 20-speaker premium audio system
Basic Performance for the Ultimate Riding Experience
- In addition to a specially-tuned suspension and high rigidity body, both driving stability and premium ride comfort are realised by the use of newly developed tyres specialised for ride comfort and reduced road vibration.
- Optimisation of the engine mount and the active noise control system reduces noise and vibration when the engine starts and achieves smooth acceleration and overwhelming serenity in the cabin.
- The 5.0-litre 2UR-FSE V8 engine using “D-4S” direct injection technology for low fuel consumption and high output is installed in combination with the Toyota Hybrid System in pursuit of the lowest fuel consumption in its class. In addition, a two-stage motor speed reduction device realises quiet and smooth driving.
- Safety features suitable for a limousine such as Toyota Safety Sense P collision avoidance support, blind spot monitoring, and rear cross traffic alert are adopted.
|Length x width x height (mm)||5,335 x 1,930 x 1,505|
|Tread (front/rear) (mm)||1,615/1,615|
* The 45th Tokyo Motor Show 2017 is to be held at Tokyo Big Sight in Tokyo’s waterfront area from October 25 through November 5, with press days on October 25 and 26, a special-invitation day on October 26, a preview day on October 27, and general public days from October 28 to November 5.
To access the exclusive site for Tokyo Motor Show 2017, please visit http://newsroom.toyota.co.jp/en/tms2017/