KING OF ALL ROADS
The New Toyota Land Cruiser V8
- Eighth generation of Toyota’s Land Cruiser large-scale SUV, replacing the Land Cruiser Amazon
- True go-anywhere 4×4, with body-on-frame construction
- New 4.5-litre V8 D-4D engine
- Toyota’s first diesel eight-cylinder engine, equipped with common rail injection technology
- 282bhp (286 DIN hp) at 3,600rpm, 650Nm of torque from 1,600rpm
- Lowest emissions and fuel consumption in class
- Six-speed automatic transmission with sequential manual gear change mode
- World-first 4-wheel Active Height Control and Adaptive Variable Suspension
- Multi-terrain ABS optimises braking control to suit driving conditions
- Downhill Assist Control (DAC) and Hill-start Assist Control (HAC)
- New Torsen limited slip centre differential
- Accommodates seven with tumble-fold second row and folding third row seats
- Single luxury specification includes full-map satellite navigation, four-zone climate control system, full leather upholstery, Smart Entry and Start and nine-speaker Pioneer audio system with six-DVD autochanger
- Pre-crash safety system and 14 airbags as standard
- Optional premium audio with i-pod integration and in-car entertainment packs
- On sale from 15 February 2008
- On-the-road price £55,995
The new Land Cruiser V8 replaces the Amazon and is the eighth generation of Toyota’s legendary Land Cruiser large-scale SUV. It remains true to its heritage in being a thoroughbred off-roader. More than that, it is equipped with world-first technologies to ensure safety, comfort and secure handling both in the rough and on the open road.
Toyota’s “no compromise” approach is clear in vehicles with traditional body-on-frame construction, crucial to the vehicle’s ability to tackle the toughest terrain. This tried and tested approach is matched by sophisticated handling, suspension and drivetrain systems that extend the off-road capabilities and enhance comfort and stability in normal driving.
New V8 diesel engine
The Land Cruiser V8 is powered by a new 4.5-litre V8 D-4D engine. It is the first Toyota eight cylinder diesel engine and is equipped with common rail injection technology. The unit is the most powerful Toyota diesel yet, producing 282bhp (286 DIN hp) and a prodigious 650Nm of torque, available from just 1,600rpm.
Thanks to its high efficiency, the engine has the lowest emissions and fuel consumption in its class, producing 270g/km of carbon dioxide and an official 27.7mpg in combined cycle driving. It is extremely tough, too, engineered to perform faultlessly in temperatures from -30 to +50°C.
The V8 is matched to a new six-speed automatic transmission with a manual sequential gear selection mode. As befits a serious offroader, it incorporates low ratio gearing.
World-leading suspension and handling technology
The Land Cruiser V8 is one of the most technically advanced four-wheel drive vehicles ever produced and is equipped with a series of advanced dynamic and handling features. These include the world’s first four-wheel Active Height Control and Adaptive Variable Suspension (4-Wheel AHC & AVS), a fully adjustable system that also provides spring rate control. Not only does this give exceptional performance off-road – wheel articulation is so great, the car can crawl over steps with a 630mm height difference without lifting a wheel off the ground – it regulates pitch and body roll on-road to maintain ride comfort and refinement.
The full-time all-wheel drive has a new transfer unit governing the distribution of torque between the front and rear axles, with a newly developed Torsen torque-sensing limited slip centre differential, which gives improved cornering performance and driving stability. The transfer shift system lets the driver move from H4 (high) gearing to L4 (low) gearing by means of a rotary switch on the dashboard, when the vehicle is moving at low speed (up to 3mph).
Rugged and modern design
The vehicle’s design is rugged yet modern, developing styling cues from the Land Cruiser’s distinguished past while embracing themes from Toyota’s contemporary “Vibrant Clarity” design philosophy to bring the Land Cruiser brand fully up-to-date. An equally bold approach is taken inside the cabin where the sense of ruggedness and reliability is combined with comfort, quality and a great sense of spaciousness.
The Land Cruiser V8 may be engineered to cope with extreme environments, but the cabin is designed to provide premium levels of comfort, convenience and safety. Available in a single luxury specification, it is equipped as standard with four-zone climate control air conditioning, full-map satellite navigation, Bluetooth, rear parking monitor, nine-speaker sound system with six-DVD autochanger and leather upholstery. A premium JBL audio system which includes i-pod integration and ICE (in-car entertainment) pack with rear seat DVD monitors are available as options.
The flexible seven-seat interior is easily adapted to accommodate passengers or additional loads, with tumble-and-fold second row seats dividing 40:20:40 and the two rearmost seats folding to the side.
High safety standards
Occupants are protected by 14 airbags, including front knee airbags and curtain shield airbags along the entire length of the cabin. Active safety provisions include new multi-terrain ABS, which automatically adapts braking performance to suit the surface on which the vehicle is travelling. And to help minimise the consequences of an accident, a pre-crash safety system automatically tensions the driver and passenger front seatbelts when sensors detect a dangerous situation, such as the vehicle spinning or emergency braking.
Launched in the UK on 15 February, the Land Cruiser V8 is priced £55,995. A full product press pack can be found on the Toyota media web site.