BIGGEST AND BEST LAND CRUISER GETS BETTER FOR 2012
- UK specifications announced for 2012 Land Cruiser V8
- Single model range, fully equipped with new technologies for secure off-road performance, including world first turn assist feature
- 4.5-litre V8 turbodiesel engine gains diesel particulate filter and meets Euro 5 emissions standards
- On sale from 1 March, price £62,285
Following its recent unveiling at the Brussels motor show, the Land Cruiser V8 has been readied for launch in the UK on 1 March. As the ultimate Land Cruiser, the model comes newly equipped with advanced technologies for off-road driving, as well as an impressive array of luxury features. The single version has a £62,285 on-the-road price.
The Land Cruiser V8 gains a new frontal design, anchored by a new-look bumper, grille and foglights, plus new headlamp units that feature high-intensity discharge units and LED daytime running lights. The UK model is fitted with new black roof rails, side mouldings with chrome details and new-design 20-inch alloy wheels.
The rear light units have also been refashioned and LED turn indicators have been integrated into the door mirrors.
UK customers can choose from eight exterior colours, including two new to the model range: Pearl White and Pure White.
Inside, the principal changes include new, air conditioned/heated front seats, a central cool box, heated steering wheel and all-round improvements to the quality and appearance of the trims and finishes.
New off-road handling and driver assistance systems
The changes in equipment specifications are led by the introduction of a comprehensive array of handling and driver-assistance systems that work together to make the full spectrum of off-road driving scenarios easier and safer to negotiate.
The new features include: –
- The world’s first Turn Assist, reducing the vehicle’s turning radius when driving through tight off-road bends
- Crawl Control, with five speed settings for tackling steep climbs or descents
- Multi-terrain Select, with five selectable modes to tailor vehicle performance to different off-road conditions
- Multi-terrain Monitor, providing a 360-degree view of the area immediately around the vehicle via four external cameras
- Tyre Angle Display, displayed together with the predicted tyre path guidelines on the Multi-terrain Monitor, showing changes in steering angle between zero and 45 degrees
- Variable Flow Control power steering, with a unique, dedicated off-road setting
Land Cruiser V8 retains its 4.5-litre V8 turbodiesel engine and six-speed automatic transmission, with adjustments to bring exhaust emissions in line with Euro 5 standards. These include the addition of diesel particulate filter (DPF) and new fuel injectors in the common rail system. Maximum power is 268bhp (200kW) at 3,600rpm, and maximum torque of 650Nm is delivered between 1,600 and 2,800rpm.
Toyota Touch Pro
Land Cruiser V8’s adoption of new technologies includes the standard provision of Toyota Touch Pro, an advanced multimedia and navigation system with a digital tuner, Bluetooth and a rear-view camera. Controlled by means of a new eight-inch central touchscreen colour monitor, it offers advanced route planning and display functions, with voice controls, 3D landmark representation and “one-shot” destination input. Easy connection and integration can be made with mobile phones to download contacts, send and receive text messages (including a text-to-voice function) and e-mail.
The system also delivers on-board internet connectivity, using a compatible mobile phone and registration via aToyotacustomer portal. Linking to Google Local Search, drivers can obtain a wide range of information and useful services for more efficient journeys, including data on local parking availability and fuel prices, and the option to download online points-of-interest as journey destinations. Access is also provided to TPEG data on traffic flows and weather conditions.
Premium In-Car Entertainment option
A premium in-car entertainment package can be specified as an option. This provides two eight-inch seatback-mounted monitors that are designed for a clear view from a wide angle range, and to be resilient to screen “jitter” when the vehicle is on the move.
The system can play content in a wide range of file formats from DVD, CD, USB 2.0 and SD Cards. The tablets can play from a single source, or operate independently, so viewers can watch different DVDs, or use separate games consoles. Infra-red headphones and a remote control are also provided.