- Celica range now consists of four models: Celica; Celica Premium, Celica Style and Celica T Sport. The Celica 190 has been discontinued
- 2003 model Celica now priced at £16,495
- Celica Style priced at £17,995 adds 17-inch alloy wheels and rear spoiler, sports pedals and enhanced audio package to the standard Celica
- Celica Premium priced at £17,995 includes climate control, full leather seats and electric sunroof
- Celica T Sport now available for £20,995 includes T Sport embossed light grey and charcoal full leather upholstery, VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) and Traction Control (TRC) with Brake Assist (BA), 17 inch 8-spoke alloy wheels and T Sport rear spoiler
- 140bhp engine available on Celica, Celica Style and Celica Premium
- Celica T Sport fitted with 189bhp VVTL-i engine (Variable Valve Timing with Lift-intelligent)
- Darker interior trim for sportier, quality feel
- Improved chassis and brakes
- Class-leading power to weight ratio
- Low group 13E insurance, 15E for Celica T Sport
- On sale from 2002 British International Motor Show (22 October)
The highly successful Celica has been upgraded for 2003 and is now available as four different models: The new range consists of: Celica; Celica Premium, Celica Style and Celica T Sport.
Prices have been realigned too with the standard Celica now at £16,495, which represents a saving of £485 on the previous entry level model. Celica Premium at £17,995 includes climate control, full leather seats and electric sunroof. Celica Style, also at £17,995 includes 17-inch alloy wheels and rear spoiler, sports pedals and enhanced audio package with rear sub woofer.
CELICA T SPORT NOW AVAILABLE FOR LESS THAN £21,000
The top of the range 189bhp T Sport model has been re-specified and is now fitted with (VSC) Vehicle Stability Control and (TRC) Traction Control for added safety when the going gets slippery. Specification also includes unique light grey and black T Sport embossed full leather upholstery, unique 17″ 8-spoke alloy wheels and T Sport rear spoiler. Celica T Sport is now available for £20,995 – £2,500 less than the previous model.
SEE FURTHER, CORNER FLATTER, STOP QUICKER
Even the most experienced driver needs a car with high safety levels to benefit from the full potential of a well-balanced chassis and a powerful engine. For this reason, safety and driving pleasure are seen as one in the upgraded Celica.
Front disc diameter is increased to 275mm on all models for extra stopping power and more resistance to fade – the 189bhp T Sport has been so equipped since launch.
Celica T Sport also has VSC (Vehicle Stability Control), TRC (Traction Control) and BA (Brake Assist) as standard equipment.
Modifications to both front and rear shock absorbers on the upgraded Celica result in a more flat, comfortable ride and better traction. Changes made to the steering achieve a more responsive feel, while small aerodynamic modifications result in superior high-speed stability by reducing rear lift.
THE SAME, BUT SOMEHOW DIFFERENT…
The Toyota Celica’s exterior design has undergone a subtle change at the front – not so much a face-lift as a new collar and tie. The cut-away of the lower grille is wider, making the vertical bars widen more emphatically as they descend. The openings around the integrated fog lamps have a sharper shape. The rear lamps now feature a double-barrelled internal shape and are now co-ordinated in all-red lenses.
Finally, the latest Toyota Celica wears its badge with more pride – the Toyota emblem on the bonnet has been increased in size. In addition, two new colours, Sahara Sun and Island Green have been added to the range.
EVEN HIGHER QUALITY FOR CELICA’S COCKPIT
The stylish, sporty interior of the Toyota Celica now offers even higher quality thanks to a darker, more sober colour choice with contrasting inlays.
New coloured lighting for many of the ancillary controls and audio unit results in a
co-ordinated sporty look, making the main instrumentation easier to read at a glance, while the heater controls have also been changed.
Front and rear fabric seats now feature black central sections with vibrant red side trims. The Celica Premium now features restyled black full leather seats and the T Sport model has
T Sport embossed light grey and charcoal leather seats as standard.
FEATURING THE ‘ENGINE OF THE YEAR’ (1.4-1.8-LITRE CLASS)
The engines – both 140bhp and 189bhp versions – are already among the best 1.8-litre power units and they remain unchanged. Both are 1.8-litre capacity and offer Variable Valve Timing-intelligent (VVT-i) on the 140bhp version and Variable Valve Timing with Lift-intelligent (VVTL-i) technology on the 189bhp version.
A panel of judges from all over the world considered the 1.8 VVTL-i engine from the
Celica T Sport as the best among all 1.4 to 1.8-litre powertrains in the market, including diesel. As a result, this engine received the title of ‘Engine of the Year’ in the 1.4 to 1.8-litre class from Engine Technology International magazine.
The reasons for the judges’ choice were clear: besides boasting one of the best specific power figures in the world (over 100bhp per litre from a normally aspirated engine), the 1.8 VVTL-i can deliver breathtaking performance with surprisingly low fuel consumption and CO2 emissions.